Thursday, June 5, 2008

Shin Splint...

I'm not sure how many of you knows this but it's a fun fact to know. It's trivia and it's substantiated.

How do you identify a Navy man?

Well, all you have to do is to check his shin. Due to the incessant need to cross watertight doors on a ship, you will invariably nick your shin on the edges of the hatch. If you are a klutz, perhaps you get it more often then some. As a rule of thumb, I conclude that everyone have at least been struck once. For me, I've got scars at approximate the same height on both my shins. Prove of a Navy man and a klutz.

What's the purpose of this post you may ask?

It's my way of conveying a metaphor. Crossing that threshold can seem like an effortless task. For some like me, it's an obstacle and its whack you squarely in the shin and leaves you reeling in pain for a while. Paralysed and unable to walk.

Today, I'm at my lowest and humblest. Unbelieveably, I have decided to remain with the organisation that I serve. As a compromise, I am requesting for no pay study leave or no pay leave in order to maintain this path to Fletchers. I must say that in these few weeks I have received continual offers to derail me from the road to where I want to go. This I resisted with great vigor.

Perhaps my friends and colleagues will be bewildered by this sudden turn of events but perhaps they will never understand this internal turmoil that I face. This strong desire to do something of meaning and purpose when I know that I have established myself in a position of influence. Perhaps some others may be disappointed because of my inability to join them in their adventures without restraint but it may be for the best. It certainly isn't about money because that is something that I'm fully capable of generating. More importantly, I believe is my needs of having immaterial satisfaction over the material.

The battle of my emotions and my logic has once again proved that my heart is stronger than my mind.

The ball is now in their court. I have abdicated control and this is my final recourse.

No comments: